Get your subscription to #ConversationsMag today!

Need help promoting? Contact us!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

THE DEATH OF LOYALTY: The "Jersey" Auletta Story

by Cyrus Webb

We have all heard the adage "Don't just a book by its cover," but sometimes we find that following that is easier said than done. Who among us haven't done something we aren't proud of yet for others that becomes the very image that defines us?


For me I always try to look past what is said about a person and get to know them for who they are. That is why when I first heard about John "Jersey" Auletta I didn't form any opinions about who he was or even what was in his heart. The internet told me one side of the 25 year old Bronx native that was raised in New Jersey and was sentenced on November 5, 2010 to three life sentences for murder and other charges. I knew, though, that there was more to his story.

I was more interested in getting him to tell me and the rest of the world directly about his journey. Thanks to the advancements in technology, "Jersey" was able to allow me that opportunity. Here is his story in his own words.

"I was the only son and the youngest child. My mother is black, father is Italian, and even though he wasn't always around one thing he taught me was the importance of loyalty. My mother never did anything bad. She was just doing her own thing. In the home she did alot of what my father was supposed to do. Today we look at each other as friends.

"Since I wasn't getting the love and attention I wanted from home, I started to look for it in the streets. That was my introduction to the Bloods. They were there to help me out. To me, the way I saw it, they were the only people who cared.

"I picked up a gun for the first time when I was just twelve years old, was locked up the first time when I was thirteen. I did it willingly, knowing the consequences. I knew that if I chose gangbanging that when I picked up the flag, you either die in the streets or in the prison.

"The reason I became hard and lived hard was because I had to. I had to show them that I wasn't going to be run over or disrespected like others. It was a matter of survival.

"To be honest with you there is no loyalty in gangbanging anymore. When I got locked up I wanted those coming after me like my nephew to know the truth about life on the streets. That's why I am writing the book of my life. I want to explain to my nephew and the other youth of the world that this is what happens when you are loyal to something that doesn't give loyalty in return. Loyalty to me is dead.

"I saw the death of loyalty firsthand. Of the thirty-seven (37) people who testified against me half were those who had swore to be there for me. Now look at me. Look at where I am. I'm not there to take care of my family, so I have to do something for them. That's what I hope this story and my experiences will do for them. Believe me, I'm not glorifying what i did, but it's who I am. This is hard, but I've been through hard times before. I always knew there was snakes in the grass. My mother told me that loyalty was going to be my downfall. I really believed, though, that God would bless me for my loyalty. In the end the loyalty I showed was to the wrong people.

"Where did I get the idea about writing a book? I read and re-read C-Murder's book DEATH AROUND THE CORNER. I knew of his life and what he has been through and the changes he has made. I know that he is real, what he talks about is real. That inspired me. I wrote to him so that he would know that his book and his example inspired me. Through that I saw what I would be able to do to make a difference.


"How do I feel about God now? I don't see myself as a religious person, but I am a person that has faith. I feel like God put me through hell. At times I felt like He wasn't there. I know that He took me through this for a purpose. All of this is for a reason. People are not going to listen to someone who is fake and phony try to tell them about a life they don't know. I'm trying to show them that people are willing to die for the life they live. For us this is serious.

"For me loyalty is everything. I knew the code of loyalty before I became a part of this world. I knew that if I took up the red flag I would have to die for it.

"Everybody is going to judge me for what I am convicted for. I'm not mad about that. I'm going to accept my punishment. I'm more than what you see. I am signed with a record label called Serious Muzik out of Chicago, IL. Shout-out to the CEO Deboski Gunnz. Also want to show love to my family and a special shout-out to my sister Lady Tye.

"Some people look at the street life as something fun, something to be glorified. I want the youth to know that this isn't something you just wake up and do. I want them to know this is something real. People will kill you for this life if you are not right about it. I want the world to see that you can't judge me off of this. Look at what I have been through. Know my life before you judge me."

What did I learn from "Jersey" Auletta's story? Something that I hope we will all remember as we are dealing with each other. Whatever you have done in the past or what someone has done to you has no power over you unless you give it that power. No matter what is said about us--and there will be no shortage of naysayers--we have to move forward and make the most out of each and every day that we are given. That is the gift we have. It's something that no one can take away from us.

Like "Jersey" we just have to make the decision that we are ready to use that gift to help others. Only then can we say we are living the life that was meant for us. And no matter what, that is something no one can take away.

7 comments:

  1. My brother from another mother, gave his life to the most disloyal ppl alive. I pray everyday that he will be released and be able to reenter into the same society that branded him a murderer.... Cant wait to hug my bro again... Love dat niggga!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't think I would have a conversation with someone in this predicument. I never knew of anyone in this life to be like him, reading this makes me think, NEVER JUDGE SOMEONE BEFORE KNOWING THEM FULLY!!!! I love the story and would love to hear more about "JOHN JERSEY AULETTA"

    ReplyDelete
  3. IVE HAD THE PLEASURE OF GETTING TO KNOW JOHN "JERSEY" OVER THE PAST 3WKS THROUGH CORRESPENDENCE OF LETTERS BACK & FORTH 2 THE PRISON HES IN!! IVE ALWAYS HEARD OF HIS NAME FROM MY EX BOYFRIEND AND FRIENDS WHO KNOW OF HIM AND KNOW HIM PERSONALLY! BUT I NEVER HAD THE OPPORTUNITY OF MEETING HIM OR SEEING HIM FACE 2 FACE!!! FORTUNATLEY I SAW HIS DON DIVA EXCERPT AND HIS PIC ON THE FRONT OF THE COVER AND WAS BLOWN AWAY!! I SAID THERES MY "JOHNNY" AS I SECRETLY NICK NAMED HIM BETWEEN ME & HIM!! I JUST WANT TO SAY U NEVER KNOW SOMEONE UNTIL U KNOW!!! PEOPLE ANS SOCIETY CAN SAY WHT THEY WANT ABOUT THIS MAN,THEY NEVER WALKEDIN HIS SHOES OR SAW THRU HIS EYES SO @ THE END OF THE DAY WHO ARE WE TO CONDEMN AND OINT FINGERS WHN WE ARE ALL LIVING IN AND WITH SIN!! IVE GROWN SOME DEEP PERSONAL FEELINGS 4 JERSEY JUST OVER LETTERS AND NICE AND LOVING KIND WORDS SO HE CANT BE ALL BAD!!! IF U ASK ME HES THE LAST OF THE MOHEGAINS AND WHN I SAY THIS THERE WILL BE ANOTHER "BAD GUY" LIKE JERSEY.. SO MANY WILL TRY 2 EMULATE AND DULICATE THOUGH.. BUT THE QUESTION WILL REMAIN LOYALTY?? IS IT UR EVERUTHING??? I LOVE U JERSEY!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John Jersey Auletta. This is a very loyal down to earth real dude me and him met for a brief year before society condemn him to his situation. He is someone you can depend on if he considers you a friend plus very articulate with his words when speaking. He's not what he appears to be on the outside that's just a shell of what he is. But Alls Well to the people and free Dae Dae

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quick question. For all the people stating that society condemned him or branded him a murderer. He admitted that he murdered. So how exactly is it societies fault? I understand the pressures we face from society, but does society make the decisions for us or do we take responsibility for our own actions? No one can make us do anything. We do it to ourselves and our actions affect family, friends and those around us. So with all due respect, please stop twisting things into degrees of victimhood when it comes to erasing life. That is not how it works. That isn't a judgement. That is a cold hard truth, that no one likes to hear because it hurts, but it is what it is. I wish all the best, but stop peddling the lie that it's societies fault when we the masters of our own fate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had the pleasure of reading the book "Loyalty is Everything" and I must say I recommend that book to every gansta I know. I am not a gansta but my fiance is. He is also doing time in prison with Jersey. You cant judge people off of what you see. All people were not blessed with good or even mediocre lives. My man is no where near a bad dude, he is a protector. He protects those that cant protect themselves and because of that he is judged as a bad person. Well tell me this... is it better to stand by and let a person be beaten to death or stop their attacker from beating them and anyone else they come in contact with in the future? The system didnt lock up a bad person they locked up someone that was doing the job that the police couldnt do. Jersey is a good dude and would do anything for those that he loves. If you cant depend on those closest to you to show you the care and love that you need then you turn to those that do and for our youth its the streets. Jersey got caught up in em at a young age. Anyone that has a problem with the way he handles himself should keep their mouthes closed until they walk the path he walked and live to tell a different story. Never look down upon a life you have never lived. In the streets its kill or be killed and unless you've lived in them day after day please keep your mouth closed. Jersey much love to you and may God bless you for your attempt to try to deter our youth today from ending up where you are now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the realist, and definitely one of the most loyal people I know. A persons current circumstance doesn't determine a person's character. And this is a prime example. Eyes open, mouth closed, and chin up. The paper work will tell the rest..... Love That Nigga Back !!!


    -2Ds

    ReplyDelete