Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Monday, May 29, 2023

Lakeasha Williams: Embracing Her Time to Shine, Encouraging Others to Do the Same

 

by Cyrus Webb

Congratulations again, Lakeasha, on your Amazon Bestseller SHINE ON BROWN GIRL. What has it been like for you to stand back and reflect on your first children’s book becoming a #1 bestseller?

Thank you! I’m speechless. Shine On Brown Girl has surpassed my goals within the first week. It’s only the beginning and this book is poised to do some amazing things for our children and people in general. 

Did you always believe that you were intended for greatness?

My parents instilled greatness in me from a very early age. I always knew that I was different, in a good way. However, I did not envision anything beyond teaching, marriage, nice house, and children. My life is nothing like I had originally planned! It’s so much more than I ever imagined. 

When did you decide that you wanted to work with young people and inspiring them to reach their fullest potential?

I made a final decision to work with children my sophomore year in college. Inspiring children to reach their fullest potential automatically came with that decision. If that’s not the goal then you shouldn’t work with young people. 

We live in a world where people of all ages are struggling to see themselves and what they can accomplish? What made you want to make that part of your mission in life, ensuring that others knew what was possible?

My own life serves as a constant reminder to me of the possibilities that can exist for our children, provided they believe in themselves. The biggest difference between children in different socio-economic groups is their experiences and confidence level. I want to be a part of the solution. I want children to know it is possible. Whatever it is that they hope to accomplish. That is the only way that we can change the narrative for the better for our children.

When it comes to the message of SHINE ON BROWN GIRL, I have mentioned to you before it is a timely message for all of us. Where did the idea for Layla and the book come from?

Layla came as a result of several things: My lived experiences. My Brown Girl video that went viral after Kamal Harris became Vice president elect. The current challenges that our children still grapple with. The message in SHINE ON BROWN GIRL is relevant. Therefore, it evokes a variety of emotions from the readers. 

Tell us about the SHINE ON series and what you hope it does?

I hope the SHINE ON series serves as a catalyst for change. Our stories matter. Children need to see themselves represented in literature in a profound manner. I also hope that it teaches tolerance, understanding, and appreciation for all. The next book in the series is SHINE ON BROWN BOY. 

Social media has helped us all to be better connected. How has it assisted you in sharing your message?

I am very intentional with the messaging that I share on social media. I want to convey a message of the importance of living a balanced life, setting and achieving goals, community is our responsibility, uplifting others, and being an equity warrior. I use the platform in a manner that’s consistent with advancing our people. 

What are you looking forward to next?

I am looking forward to the next book in this series, SHINE ON BROWN BOY, as well as, additional platforms to share the many different messages in SHINE ON BROWN GIRL. So, stay tuned!

What advice, Lakeasha, do you have for others when it comes to pursuing their own goals and dreams.

I would say never give up on you. Listen to your body and rest when you need to rest. Also know that only you will pursue your dreams relentlessly. After all, it’s your dream. You must have that tunnel vision. Don’t expect that same level of commitment from others. Know what you know. Know what you don’t know. Seek assistance whenever possible. 

Thanks again for the time. Let our readers know how they can stay connected with you.

Our readers can follow me on my Instagram page, 

https://www.instagram.com/principal_shineonlakeasha/



No comments:

Post a Comment