Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Friday, May 18, 2012

PROFILE: Musician Jerome Swift

by Cyrus Webb

No matter who you are or where you are from music has a universal appeal and ability to draw you in. Ask musician Jerome Swift.

The 56 year old is originally from Chicago, IL but for the past decade has called Mississippi home. One of the connective tissues that has stayed with him over the years is the power of music.

"When I was a little kid our family had gathers where R&B and Blues music was played," Jerome relayed to me. "My father played Santana, and that just really sent me on another level."

Though many of his friends were into classic R&B, Jerome had gained an appreciation for all forms of music. He described it to me as being not only "melodic" but "transcending", crossing lines of color or circumstances.

At the age of thirteen, thanks to a childhood friend who had a piano, Jerome began creating his own sound. By the age of 21 he decided he wanted to move on to the electronic keyboard. Life, though, began to happen and he found himself with more responsibilities, including a family. Because of that, music couldn't be the priority he may have wanted.

Fast forward to today Jerome is back to creating music, however, at this point it is mostly for himself and friends. Like you would expect from a true passion, he has not been able to let go of it. Something about music keeps calling to him.

What does he think about how the music he creates has changed? "I think the quality if definitely better," he relates. "For me I just want it to be perfect. It comes from the top of my head. I just love to create."

And it is that creating that will keep Jerome Swift active in music, regardless of where his life may take him.

No comments:

Post a Comment