Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Friday, May 13, 2011

PROFILE: Author Russell Brooks


Russell, thanks for talking with Conversations Magazine. I think it would be good for us to begin by talking about your novel PANDORA'S SUCCESSION. How did the idea come about?
Thanks for inviting me for an interview, Cyrus. The idea for Pandora’s Succession came after the events surrounding the Tokyo Subway Sarin Gas Attacks in 1995. When I learned that a cult was behind the terrorist attacks, I was amazed at how a single cult leader could be so powerful as to brainwash so many people into following him and committing such horrific acts. Even more shockingly in 2001 was the Anthrax-mail attacks, perpetrated by military scientist, Bruce Ivins. The stories were so incredible that they appeared, in my mind, to come straight out of a thriller novel. I spun my own twist on both of those events and came up with Pandora’s Succession.

Are your family and those who grew up around you surprised that you have a book published?
My family knew that from the time that I was 12 years old, I was drafting a novel. So I don’t think that they were surprised because they knew me as a person with goals. I’m like a bulldog, once I sink my teeth in, I won’t let go.

What about yourself? When did you realize that this was a dream that you wanted to see realized?
Storytelling has always been an interest to me since I was in elementary school. When I didn’t read one in front of the class, I’d write my own for fun to share with my classmates. In grade six, my French teacher, Ms Bédard, spotted me with something that I wrote on paper (yes, written, because I didn’t have a PC nor a dot-matrix printer back then)—stapled together to look like a book. She took it and read it to the class with great enthusiasm. She then led the class into applause and encouraged me to keep writing, telling me that she looked forward to the day that one of my books would be published. That’s when I decided to keep writing whatever was in my imagination. I’m glad that I didn’t stop.

Going back to PANDORA'S SUCCESSION what do you hope readers take away from it?
I just want readers to be on the edge of their seats and have so much fun reading the story that they’ll tell their friends and family about it. There aren’t any hidden messages of any sort for anyone to discern.

What should our readers be reading next from you?
I have a short story suspense trilogy called Unsavory Delicacies that is now available through Amazon, BarnesandNoble.com, and Smashwords.com as an eBook. I’m also putting the finishing touches on a mystery/suspense novel, my second after Pandora’s Succession. Expect it to be available by December 2011. The best way to keep up to date with what I’m doing—from new releases to any special events that I’ll be taking part in—would be to join my mailing list at www.russellparkway.com or join the Russell Brooks Fans page on Facebook.

Thanks again for your time, Russell, and congratulations on what you have accomplished. How can our readers take in contact with you?
Your welcome. I hope to do this again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment