Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Transformation Of Gary Goldstein


by Cyrus Webb

Thanks to this platform and that afforded me by Conversations LIVE I am able to show people all around the world that no matter what they have done in their past, they don't have to be defined by it. That is exemplified by Gary Goldstein. He is an individual who made his mistakes but has gone on to do powerful things and affect people's lives in a positive way.

Think you have gone too far in the darkness and not able to see the light again? Read this interview, and I believe you might just change your mind. 

Gary, congratulations to you on not just what you have accomplished but on the new book JEW IN JAIL. Before we get into the book, why don't you tell our readers what exactly led to your being incarcerated in the first place.
Thanks Cyrus. I was incarcerated, upon my plea of guilty, to three counts of Robbery in the Second Degree, due in large part to my past addictions to alcohol, drugs and gambling.

I had the pleasure of talking with you on Conversations LIVE recently about how you have used your experiences to help others. Why do you think the challenges in your life have actually made you a stronger person?
The many things that I have gone through in my life have caused me to appreciate all the things that we, as human beings, tend to take for granted, like health, family, friends, love, respect, and common decency. In addition, just freedom, and the simple pleasure that entails, like peace of mind, has also brought me inner tranquility, so that I have lots of self-esteem now, and enjoy life, as well as helping other addicts and people in general.

Through your book JEW IN JAIL you have said that you wanted to let others know what is possible with hard work and not giving up on yourself. How easy has it been for you to forgive yourself and not let your mistakes define the person you are?
Well, at first, it was very tough, because I have always been my harshest critic. However, after sharing my story in the many AA, NA, and GA meetings I attended while incarcerated, I began to
see and realize that I was not alone, and that it is human to make mistakes. Then, as time continued to go on, and I began to feel better and better about myself both physically, mentally and spiritually, and my family and friends stood by to fully support me too, I became intent on turning my life around through dedication, discipline and sheer determination to, not only get my book, "Jew in Jail" published, but to pass the message of hope to others. Today, I am a totally different person than when I was first incarcerated, and am now defined by the example I have become to others by how I currently live my life.
Our theme for 2012 is New From The Inside Out. I really believe that in order to really transform our lives it starts with knowing that we deserve the very best. When you do share your story with others, how do you try to help them see their own worth?
I simply tell others that they have greatness in them, and that in order for one to be their very best, it is up to each to discover what it is that makes them happy and strive to be successful at that. I truly believe that each and every single one of us possesses at least one talent, and by reinforcing this, I drill into them that the sky is really the limit, and that NOTHING is impossible through hard work and dedication!

Making the strides you have is one thing but writing the book is a totally different achievement. I asked you on the radio show what advice you had for others who felt as though they had a story in them. What would you share with them now?
I believe that everyone has a story to tell, so the first thing I would say to them is to write, write, and write some more! Any time a thought crosses their mind, even if it happens in the middle of the night, they should write it down, so that it becomes documented, and isn't lost. They should also determine a theme of their story, meaning what do they want to say, and to whom do they want to say it to, as far as a target audience is concerned. If one is passionate about something, then writing about it does not seem like a chore, but a personal accomplishment that nobody can take away from them when it is completed.
Happy New Year and thanks for taking out the time to talk with us, Gary. Looking forward to seeing where this journey you are on continues to take you. How can our readers find out more information about you and get their copy of the book?
Thank you for this opportunity to tell my story Cyrus, and Happy New Year to you too. Information about myself and my book is available through my website, http://www.jewinjail.com/, or from Amazon.com other retail websites, or through my publisher, https://www.createspace.com/. They can also simply email me at Gman18nyc@aol.com as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment