Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Patricia Monaghan: Moving The World Through Meditation


by Cyrus Webb

Over the years I have heard about the benefits of meditation, but never thought it was something that I would personally begin doing myself. To be honest it all seemed so complicated, and I didn't see how I would be able to use it in a way that could help me when I really didn't even understand it.

That changed, however, when I read MEDIATION: The Complete Guide by Patricia Monaghan and Eleanor Viereck. It put meditation in a context where I could see that there was more than just one way to go after the focus that meditation has to offer, and that allowed me to find a course that worked best for me.

I had the opportunity to talk with Patricia about the book on Conversations LIVE, and it was a really enlightening discussion. "The life of an author is really very isolated," she told me. "It thrills my heart when I know it is making a difference." As we discussed the process of writing the book and doing the research and then being able to share it with readers in various forms, she mirrored a sentiment that I have always felt to be true. "We all feel as though we have something to tell the world. Through the internet there is much more availability. People are finding themselves through self-expression."

Patricia went on to talk about how essentially we all do bring something special to the world. It's our special gift, she explained. We are expressing that particular divine gift to the world in the forms that we know how. When I mentioned the book and how meditation can be confusing to some she agreed that the word meditation is used so loosely. It essentially means to be grounded and centered, she told me, but we know that most of the world is not that way. Her message that she wants readers to get from the book is this: meditation is what centers you in the moment. That is what we should be striving for.

MEDITATION: The Complete Guide begins by helping us to understand what mediation isn't. That opens up the door for us to get a clear understanding about what it means to meditate and how we get the most from it. Patricia also helped me to appreciate the gift of the present with this reminder: "The breath I breathe right now is the only breath I have," she said. "We can't have the breath of tomorrow now or go back and get the breath from yesterday. It's all about right now."

The book takes you through various forms of meditation from all around the world, and allow you to see how you can find what might work best for you. Patricia reiterated to me and the listeners that the important thing is not to be so focused on trying to do it perfectly. We should just make a point of doing it! "Being more centered will enhance your performance," Patricia told us. No matter why you come to meditation, however, you will are sure to become less invested in the momentary aspect and more in tune with the spirit of it.

I have found this to be true in my own life. Since 2011 I have been incorporating meditation in my daily life. Will the method I use work for you? Well, the only way to know is to try! You can find out more about Patricia and her other work by visiting www.patricia-monaghan.com. The book MEDITATION: The Complete Guide is available wherever books are sold or online through Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment