Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Sunday, October 17, 2021

[Business Spotlight] Marquis Cooper, author/speaker/educator

Marquis Cooper, Author/Speaker/Educator

Hometown (city/state): Marianna, Arkansas

Accomplishments

* Currently serve as the Senior Pastor of the Otter Creek Community Church in Little Rock, Arkansas

* The JV Educational Leadership Award

* Omega Psi Phi Citizen of the Year Award

* Moton Strong-Lee Hall of Fame Inductee,

* Character Education Partnership as a National Promising Practice in Washington, D.C.

* SRS Community Leader of the Year. 

Who were some of your mentors? 

It is not surprising that all of my mentors were positive male role models in their respective communities. They are Robert Sims, James McCoy, Michael Rodriguez, James Banks, Dr. William Bill Thomas, and Donnelle Parker.

How does it feel to now be looked up to as a mentor to others? 

It is an honor to be considered a mentor. It feels good to be able to pour back into others in the same manner that others poured into me. It is so encouraging to watch individuals grow and blossom right before your eyes. The greatest joy of mentoring is when someone approaches me and says, “Mr. Cooper, thank you for never giving up on me.” These words give me the reassurance that my labor was not in vain.    

When did you know that you wanted to go into business or build a brand? 

As a growing young adult, it was my dream to build my very own brand. In fact, I had enough faith to believe that I would build my brand. In 2007, God revealed the vision for me to write my first book. By 2008 that vision had become a reality. The publication of my first book led me on the journey to becoming a nationally renowned motivational speaker. My goal in life is to leave a legacy that my family will be proud of.    

How did you identify your audience? 

I am an educator. I interact with many teachers, administrators, counselors, parents, and K-12 students. All of those relationships and connections have helped me to be an approachable Pastor. It has allowed me to gain tools and resources to help me to relate to a vast majority of people.

What role has social media played in your marketing and networking? 

Social Media has given me the opportunity to network and meet people from all walks of life and from different parts of the world. I feel that it played a huge factor in my notoriety and success.  

Offline life has changed due to Covid-19. How have you adapted? 

This has not been an easy transition, but it has forced me to become a better individual on so many different levels. I was forced to enhance my method of communicating with people. I had to find creative ways to share the word of God with the members of my church. In addition, I had to change my strategy of providing counseling services to the students I work with every day. Covid-19 allowed me the opportunity to expand my knowledge of using all forms of technology more efficiently and effectively.  I have built a website, utilized Zoom, Facebook Live, Instagram, and started a YouTube channel to stream my church services. As a church, we have been forced to make the necessary changes to keep up with our ever changing “new normal”.

Challenges come to us all. What helps you to fight through them and keep moving forward through the challenges? 

My faith in God is what allows me to face difficult seasons in life when they arise. My family experienced great losses in 2020. We lost two brothers and a nephew was murdered all in the span of six months. Our faith in God is what sustained us through all of 2020.  Even through the challenges, God’s grace kept us. He still blessed our family. My wife and I purchased a new home. We started new jobs during the pandemic. I believe our faithfulness and willingness to continue serving others kept us going. We had to remember that just because the world stopped, we did not have to. All of those factors allowed me to keep moving. 

What are you excited about moving forward? 

I am excited about all the new opportunities God has in store for my family. I am excited about growing in all arenas of my life, both professionally and personally. I am looking forward to meeting new people and walking into unchartered territory.   

What advice you want to share with other entrepreneurs? 

The only advice I would share with other entrepreneurs is to stay humble, stay teachable, and stay focused on the plan for your life.  Do not give up. Do not give up. DO NOT GIVE UP. Keep going and trust the process.

Thank you, Marquis. How can readers stay connected with you and follow the journey?

www.itsdaytime.org 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=882975150 


No comments:

Post a Comment