Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Saturday, October 30, 2021

One-On-One with Actress/Content Creator Nadege August


by Cyrus Webb

Nadege, people have gotten to know you most recently because of the Tyler Perry hit show RUTHLESS, but you've been able to do some great work even before this. What has it been like for you, especially over the past five years to be able to reflect on your work and how you got to where you are today?

I must say it's a little surreal. You get into this work because it's something that you love. You must've heard people say quite often when you're starting out, if there's something else you can do, please go do that instead. It is a very, very challenging life. But when you are driven and you know your why, and you stick to it, the work speaks for itself. 

I've done everything from stage work, and I still do that, television series where I've been a guest quite often, pilots that didn't get picked up... And now seeing this, where it came from of all places, it's just amazing. I'm still a little bit shocked. You mentioned the show RUTHLESS, that's where I'm seeing a response that's outrageous.

I love the fact that you have not been afraid to trust your own voice. When did you realize that you had something that you wanted to share?

I think I got a few glimpses of it when I was 14 and realized this is something I wanted to do. I just didn't have a name for it. Just seeing the impact your performance has on an audience. Their reaction is usually genuine, because people are pretty honest in their nonverbal cues. I also have a podcast . That is where I started to realize that I do have opinions, what I say matters, and I have a responsibility. It's a part of my plan to use my platform that I'm gifted with and to have it be impactful in a way that is about compassion and empathy. 

I'm curious, Nadege, what was that like for you to not only be able to find some fulfillment for yourself, but to find that other people were also enjoying what you were doing?

You know what's funny for me is that you never quite know when you're in the work, After you do the work and you see the feedback, the results, the stranger who takes the time to either leave a review or find your email and send you an email. It takes my breath away. 

Sometimes I pause and I go wow. Those small gestures somehow keeps you going. I'm not going to lie. I don't wake up every day gung-ho and ready to take on the world. I have my highs and my lows, and there are times where I've thought of giving up. During those times I kid you not, I get a whisper from an angel in the form of a human who says something that is so encouraging and completely genuine that gives me this perk that I need to keep going. And it also is a cautionary tale as to when you think to say something nice to someone, you have to say it. It's always so easy for us to criticize and to point out what doesn't work, when in fact, when something does work, take the time and let someone know. You never know what that might mean to them.


Stay connected with Nadege on Instagram at www.instagram.com/bougiedilemma and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/nadegeaugust

No comments:

Post a Comment