Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Ashley J: 'Daring Ya' to Be Yourself & Follow Your Dreams

by Cyrus Webb

"One day all my dreams will come true." That message posted by recording artist Ashley J online earlier in 2016 says so much about her belief in herself and dreams---and it seems as though it is becoming a reality.

Ashley was gracious enough to chat with me about the experience of seeing the response to her single DARE YA and the video that accompanied it, as well as how it feels to do something you have love for so long.

"It's been absolutely incredible," she says. "To have people sending me messages telling me how much my song (DARE YA) has inspired them...it has been the most remarkable thing. I could not be more blessed and grateful."

Ashley knew quite early that music was going to be a part of her life. At the age of 12 she realized "deep down it is something that I always wanted to do. It's something that has never stopped for me. It's always been there." Though there was some changes that she made over the years, the important thing for her was doing what she wanted to do.

The single DARE YA pushes the listener to go for whatever that thing might be for them in their lives that maybe they weren't pursuing. This isn't just something AshleyJ is singing about. She live it, too. "I need to take chances, take risks," she says. "My dad always gave me a wonderful piece of advice: 'The worst thing anyone could tell you is no, but you never know if you don't ask, and it's an automatic no if you don't.' " Keeping that in mind has helped her to know allow challenges or difficulties to stop her.

As her talent is receiving the attention it deserves, Ashley J says it is all just another part of the journey. "It's a relief," she says. "I feel like so many of my family members and friends have been watching the process since I was a kid. Finally I feel like I have a paper trail. It's paying off in this moment," and she says she is more confident in herself and her music. "I'm so thankful that everything I've done so far has been this work of art that is being showcased and displayed for everyone to see and enjoy."

The creative process can be a lonely one, but the response that has been coming in has definitely made this artist appreciative. "Artists put out their content in hopes that someone will like it," Ashley J told me. "Just to have the response has been remarkable, so uplifting. I feel so thankful." And this is only the beginning. "I keep reminding myself that I am who I am," she says, "Being proud of what I've done keeps me going. It's everything that I've always wanted. I refuse to do wrong by me."

Stay connected with what's next for Ashley J at the links below:
www.facebook.com/AshleyJeanMusic
www.twitter.com/ashleyj_music
www.instagram.com/ashleyj_music
www.ashleyj.net

No comments:

Post a Comment