Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Monday, May 16, 2011

SPOTLIGHT: Celebrity Photographer Anthony Tilghman


by Cyrus Webb for Conversations Magazine

Anyone who has ever thought you can't have your cake and eat it too obviously hasn't met Anthony Tilghman. He has been able to take his passion for all things unique and beautiful and harness it into a business that has ripples from his base in Washington D. C. around the world.

Whether he is photographing another influential client or noteworthy event or assisting in brand development and marketing, Tilghman seems to be able to do it all and do it well.

I had the opportunity to interview him for the radio program Conversations LIVE, and it was obvious that the reason he has found success in his life is because he has learned how to get out of his own way. In this interview with Conversations Magazine he talks about that journey, what pushes him and what he has to say to those who wish to follow in his footsteps.

Here is our conversation...
 

Anthony, I think once people take a look at your website and view your work, one word that has to come to mind is passion. You definitely love what you do. When did you develop that passion?
I think I developed this passion a long time ago when I wanted to be different and stand out from the rest. My major focus is helping others excel in what they do cause I don't want to be known for just take photos or marketing. I think it goes beyond that, and show others that you can set out to do what you wanna do if you work hard and be patient for the results.

I know from an interview with you for Conversations LIVE that photography is something you have only been doing for a few years, but you couldn't really tell by the success you have had. Tell our readers how this chapter of your life began. 
Well photography starting about 2 1/2 years ago when I use to work with alot of photographers and they didn't really see what I was looking for in the imagery. So I decided that I had to take myself to the next level and start doing photography myself. I have worked with alot of great photographers so i know the move was going to be hard, but I was determined to make it happen, learn the ropes and set out to be a great.

Branding is important for anyone who is serious about their career path, but attaching yourself to successful brands is also a plus. How much do you think having recognizable names acknowledge your work has benefited you?
Well of course having a recognizable name helps your brand, but also having the determination to work at developing yourself can help also because alot of great people didn't always have that fame and they started out just like everyone else to become that brand they are now. I would just say u have to be focused and work at establish yourself and it will work out.

You have gone beyond photography. Tell us about some of your recent ventures you've been involved in.
I want to be known as a brand, so I took the things I love which are fashion, beauty and marketing. I started my woman's clothing line Elegance Collection which is something I always wanted to do. I love seeing beautiful women looking nice yet elegant about their appearance. I added photography and marketing to my portfolio, because I want to help others become the best and use marketing and social media to establish their brand and accessibility beyond the local perimeter.

Looking back on everything you've done, what have been some of the highlights for you?
U know what's funny: I think my biggest highlights of everything I've done is the learning experience, because I remember sitting and thinking of my next move everyday and just making it happen. I have done alot in the past 2 years and so, but the most rewarding part of everything I do is looking back and realizing it happened and I am proud of the results.

We all have our highs and lows from day to day, whether we love what we do or not. Like it or not, we are going to have bad days. How do you stay motivated?
Well the best way I try to stay focused is to just keep thinking of different ways to be creative and market myself and my brand and know that its takes effort and hard work to be successful. I have already been at rock bottom before so I am not planning on going back.

Is there anyone you want to work with that you haven't had a chance yet?
My dream is to work with Halle Berry because she stays elegant, and I love the way she presents herself. I would love to work with her to create a image of what she represents which is beauty yet elegance in her day to day appearance.

Anthony, there will be some who are reading this that are not doing what they want to do or have a passion for. What would you tell them in regards to whatever their passion might be?
Well I believe that everyone has a talent, and I have a saying that I often say on twitter which is "You can meet alot of talented people but the most talented person you meet everyday is Yourself.."

Thanks for your time, Anthony. How can our readers stay up on everything you are doing?
Well you can always catch up with me on Twitter (@anthonytilghman) and also visit my website everyday at www.anthonytilghman.com and check out my work and also read my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment