Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Saturday, April 16, 2011

"Mr. Crochet" Harold Utley: Getting More By Giving


A man who crochets? If you say you have never heard of such a thing then meet Harold Utley. The 61 year old Lakeview, South Carolina resident has been creating beauty with his hands for over 30 years and seems to be only getting started in spreading the word about what seems like a rarity.

"It all began over 35 years ago," says Utley. "My wife and I were out celebrating our anniversary and we saw a woman crocheting a scarf. My wife loved it so much I bought it for her." His wife was so thrilled over the handmade item that she wanted more. Instead of going back to buy another one, Utley bought yarn, a needle and a book on crocheting and decided to teach himself the art. It took him about three weeks to learn and he began making more items for his wife and even taught his children how to crochet.

That was only the beginning.

From there Harold decided to share his wares at flea markets, making sales but mainly gaining an audience of individuals who liked to watch him at work.


So is he in a world all of his own when it comes to men who have taken up the craft? "There are a few men who do it," he says. "For me, though, it's something God gave me. It truly blesses me to do it and share it with others."

Dubbed "Mr. Crochet" by South Carolina children's book author M. Beatryce Shaw, for Utley the gift means more than just money. "A big part of what I do is the love that goes into it. I donate a lot to organizations and individuals who I know can use it. Because each piece is handmade you are never going to get what it's actually worth. It's more about my getting more by giving."

To find out more information about Harold Utley and his wonderful creations, contact Cyrus Webb at cawebb4@juno.com (Harold Utley in the subject line) or call 601.896.5616.

No comments:

Post a Comment