Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Monday, July 24, 2023

Manswell T. Peterson: Creating His Own Universe (and Legacy) One Book at a Time


 by Cyrus Webb

Manswell T. Peterson is the kind of author who doesn't wait on opportunities to come his way. He creates his own lanes, follows his own rules and has been able to find success with readers along the way.

Though he has written in many genres, what he has created with The Locrottum Universe stands out currently as his crowning achievement, with characters and storylines that keep readers coming back for me. 

In this conversation we talk about the journey to doing what he loves, what it's been like to create his own universe and advice for others wanting to make their own literary dreams come true. 

Manswell, it’s been amazing to watch your success over the past few years. What has it been like for you to see how readers have responded to your work?

Everyday is still amazing. To see readers from all over the country and hearing from them via e-mail or messenger and to see how they fall in love and hate certain characters, shows me that I am on the right track.

The Locrottum Universe has become a big part of your career. How did it all begin?

I thought about it 10 years ago. Mentally, I started working on the series. Next, the writing began. I watch paranormal and fantasy shows a lot. I saw that there were not different factions all in one series. Therefore, I wanted to create my own fantasy world intertwining several factions.

You have not allowed a particular genre to define you or your writing. Did you always believe in your ability to succeed at any type of writing you chose to do?

Yes. I don’t believe there is a genre that I cannot be successful in; and that is because I will study a genre from every angle. I will look at what’s working and what’s not working. I also pay attention to what the fans are asking for. I then do my best to deliver it.

This issue of Conversations Magazine is focusing on books that will be great for readers to explore as summer reads and beyond, especially for children. You have also written children’s books as well. What led you in that direction?

The more e-mails that I got from parents, the more I was concerned that some kids were looking for a new favorite book. My wife and I created Braylen the Bear & Friends because of the warm heart and caring nature of our son, Braylen. I wanted something that ALL kids could gravitate to. And I believe we pulled it off with this series. With 5 books in the series already out, we have kids asking their parents when is the next one coming. That's exciting to see.

Already 2023 has shaped up to be a big year for you, Manswell. One thing that happened was being able to thank a teacher that meant a lot to you. Tell us about that experience.

Almost 40 years ago, while dealing with my mom with her crack cocaine addiction, one of my middle school teachers saw what I was dealing with. She was there and bought me writing supplies. She even bought me a new pair of Reebok tennis shoes that I had to leave in my school locker every day.  This educator meant so much to my survival and who I am today. 

You have also been out and about meeting your readers in person. What is it like meeting your readers and seeing their reactions?

At one function, I sat next to a mom and daughter reading Locrottum Academy 3. I asked the mom was the book good. When she looked up and saw my face, her smile said everything. She began tapping her daughter on the shoulder and when the daughter finally looked up all she could say was, “It’s You”. She said this about 5 times and I asked if she would like me to sign her book and take a picture. Best feeling in the world to me.


Social media is a big part of how we connect with our audiences. How has your relationship with social media evolved over your career?

It allows me to stay in constant contact with readers in real time. When I first begin writing, this was not possible.

You are also big on trying to inspire others to go after their goals and dreams. Why has that been so important for you?

This is about the next generation of writers. I know I can’t write forever. We have to fill the gaps in the literary world as all authors must at some point bid farewell to readers.

Being half-way through the year, what should our readers expect from you next?

Last year I gave the readers 15 books. My goal this year is to beat that number. I have a summer blitz  planned including a new YA Academy series.

Any advice you have for those who are looking to begin their own career as an author? 

I remember a new author told me that they had the worse payday in history where they only made 50 cents that day. I told them about my worst day…..I only made 17 cents. They looked at me stunned. They knew if I could have a bad day like that and survive, they knew they would also.

Thanks for the time, Manswell. How can our readers stay connected with you? 

They can find me on Facebook , Instagram and Tiktok under Manswell T. Peterson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment