Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Friday, June 3, 2011

Recording Artist Dashawn:Rockin' The World With Music While Ballin' With Books


For 23 year old recording artist Dashawn the success he has experienced so far in 2011 has been a culmination of hard work and incredible blessings. The Waco, TX native is living his dreams and sharing his love of music with the world in ways that few artists have been able to.

The singer/songwriter took out some time from recording to talk with Conversations' Cyrus Webb about the rollercoaster ride of his life,what others who want to find success in the business should be doing now, and how he along with good friend Bryan McCann of the Dallas Cowboys is ballin' with books.
(This article appears in the June/July issue of Conversations Magazine.)

Dashawn, we really appreciate your support with the Ballin' With Books literacy campaign. We'll talk about that later. First, though, when did you first realize music was something that you had a real interest in?
It was early in life, about the age of twelve. My mom played alot of R&B in the house, and I fell in love with it.

Now that you are writing and producing your own music, what does it feel like to be focusing on what you love?
It's a crazy feeling, but it's also a blessing. When you have alot of people all over the place who like your music, that means alot.

How would you describe your particular lyrical style?
My music is more for when you are trying to set the mood right for that special person. If you find yourself loving groups like H-Town, Sillk as well as K Cee and Jo Jo then more than likely you will like Dashawn.

Congratulations on the digital distribution deal with Def Jam for the song "Can You Handle It?" Tell us about the meaning behind the song.
Thank you. The deal with Def Jam is just proof that all of the grinding with this music is paying off. I'm really grateful. As for the song, "Can You Handle It?" is more of a slow, club song. Basically I'm asking the girl if I give you my all can you handle that?

Because of the popularity you are generating, Dashawn, it is inevitable that you will have individuals looking up to you. Is being a role model something that you are comfortable with?
You know, I do want to be seen as a role model. That's why I try to keep my image clean. I want to portray myself in a way that others will look at me and what I"m doing and say they want to be like that person. That's important to me.

When it comes to getting your music out there, how have social networking sites like Twitter, Myspace and Facebook helped you reach a larger audience?
It makes it alot easier for your fans to connect with you, and you can get their feedback. It is also great for networking, linking up with producers and songwriters. For me, it's been a big part of my lifeline to the world.

I mentioned earlier about other individuals including artists looking up to you and what you have accomplished. Do you have an advice for them?
I would tell them that you have to keep doing it everyday. In the music industry there is no such thing as an off day. Even if and when you get the negative feedback, you have to keep going. Believe me, I am living proof that it will all pay off in the end. Repetition is the key to success.

I know there have been alot of people in your life that have helped you up to this point, Dashawn. Do you have anyone you would like to thank?
Yes. I would like to thank God for blessing me with this talent. Thank yous go out to Tonya Wilkerson, Jamal Stephens, Darren Baucham, Joseph Stephens & Terrance Baucom for believing in me since day one. Thanks to my management company (L-G Entertainment) & Def Jam Music Group for giving me a opportunity. Thanks to my beautiful mother Jeanette Miller for being my biggest supporter. Thank you, Cyrus, for taking time out to give me a platform to showcase my talent. Last but not least I want to thank all the fans worldwide that listen and support my music. I do this for you. I am your biggest fan. Keep supporting!

In June 2011 recording artist Dashawn and good friend Bryan McCann of the Dallas Cowboys became the national spokespersons for the Ballin' With Books Literacy Campaign. Ballin' With Books unites sports lovers with books that fit their particular interests.

It was in six grade that Dashawn started getting interested in sports, namely football. His uncle played and was really good at it. "I always looked up to him," says Dashawn. "I even wore the same number he wore (45) and played the same position." From football, Dashawn began to show an interest in basketball. When he began to pursue his music, he was able to do so balancing his love of sports.

No matter what he was doing, though, education was something he was going to excel in regardless---and that included reading.


Dashawn met Bryan McCann of the Dallas Cowboys (seen here) three years ago. The two shared a drive for their respective fields and together have been encouraging young people that they can do anything they want as long as they put their minds and hearts into it.

"It's an exciting thing to be promoting reading to the youth," says McCann. If I can use the status I am getting to make a difference, then that's what success is all about." Dashawn agrees. "We are in this world to make a difference," he says. "That goes on and off the stage."
Find out more about Dashawn by visiting www.iamdashawn.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment