Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Dana Hampton: Choosing to Live Beyond Cancer

by Cyrus Webb

In life we are faced with difficulties that test us beyond what we might feel as though we can bear. At that moment of the trial we can decide to give up or to put up a fight.

For Mississippi native Dana Hampton giving up has never been an option in life, even when in 2012 she discovered that she had cancer.

"I was totally shocked," she told me during our conversation about her ordeal. After going to the doctors because of some difficulties she was having, it was discovered that she had a four pound tumor, was anemic and had cervical cancer.

"When you first hear cancer you get worried, but my faith in the Lord is so strong I knew not to worry. My mother instilled in me that we don't worry about anything. We have to tell the Lord that we can't deal with it. You then have to pray about it and be through with it. Don't let it control you."

Instead of allowing Cancer to rule her life and the way she lived, Dana chose to live beyond cancer, thinking of what was important to her and what mattered. It was a part of her, but not the way she would allow herself to be defined.

Dana has learned a lot through her cancer scare, and a great deal of it has to do with education. "If I had gone in to get my regular check-ups things could have been detected earlier," she says. This has led her to share her story and encourage women to make sure that they are going to their doctors and taking care of themselves.

When I asked her about what got her through this ordeal, Dana says a strong support system is a must. She had her mother, daughter and friends. For those who don't have anyone to turn to, she offers herself as an example. "You have to take care of yourself. I didn't. If I had taken time out for myself all those years things wouldn't have gotten out of hand the way they did," she says.

Dana shares my belief that everything happens for a reason, and when discussing her previous health issues she says that maybe this opened the door for her to inspire other women and even men to take care of themselves. It doesn't does inspire me.

Stay in touch with Dana at https://www.facebook.com/dana.y.hampton or https://twitter.com/italiansongbird.




No comments:

Post a Comment