Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fighting Off Fear


by Cyrus Webb

What would you do in your life if you were not afraid?

I first heard this question on Oprah's Life Class on The Oprah Winfrey Network in late 2011. It seems like such a simple one, but it underlines what keeps so many people from making strides in their lives. Fear, in my opinion, is not only a dream-killer but a thief of greatness and potential.

It's not something I am just recognizing as dangerous. At the age of 14 I made the following journal entry on November 24, 1989:

"My Greatest Fear

"My greatest fear is that I will never be 'anything.' I've never just sat along at my desk and gave myself twenty minutes of anything. Every since second grade I have been writing poetry, short stories and book articles...few of them have been published. But, never have I thought about quitting. Quitting, to me, is like committing suicide---you think about it and plan it, but your soul says no.

"I don't want to grow old and think that I've left something uncompleted. My life hasn't been anything but one disaster after another. I've never had a complete family, because my father died when I was about four. Sometimes, I dream of me drifting off into the senseless world of eternity... I mean death.

"My grandmother is a minister, so she teaches me about the Bible and its meanings. Another thing I dare not do is die in vain. My life is too valuable for me to ruin it drinking, dropping out of school or doing drugs. Who is stupid enough to ruin somebody else's life by selling that stuff.

"I hope that God will stay with me all through my life and secure my soul in tings that will help America...not hurt it."

So the question is posed to you: What is your biggest fear and how are you combating it? no matter what it is the important thing to realize is that as long as you give in to it you will not be able to enjoy all that is meant for you.

Want to share how you are conquering fear and living a purposeful life? I want to hear from you! Email me at cawebb4@juno.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment