Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Author F. J. Dagg: Enjoying A Literary High With the LOWLANDS OF HEAVEN

by Cyrus Webb

Author F. J. (James) Dagg is one of those authors that is getting a great deal of attention right now.

Now only was he a winner of the Character Building Counts Book Awards in 2011, but the winner title LOWLANDS OF HEAVEN is resonating with readers because of its message of hope and redemption.

When Dagg and I talked about his novel I was surprised when he told me that it initially began as something completely different and evolved. What happened? "The characters took on a life of their own," he relayed to me. What he believed would be a screen play became the outline of the novel readers are talking about.

This is not just any story. It was something developed with a purpose. "I wanted to write something uplifting," he says. Not liking the way things have been going in culture over the past 30 years or so, Dagg wanted to focus on something a bit different.

The result is LOWLANDS OF HEAVEN, and gauging from the response from other readers it is not just the story that is gaining praise. The storyteller is being celebrated as well. I asked Dagg what it was like for him to have individuals not only getting a message from the story but seeing a reflection of who he is as well. "It's kind of a bonus," he told me. "Never thought much of how people would see me as an author. It's nice to think that people connect with you that way."

You can't discuss a book like this and not have the subject of faith come up. When asked about how it played into who he was, the author shared this: "I've been at different places throughout my life. I lived through periods of doubt. Since that time I have become a very devout believer. I have a very solid belief in a Creator. Writing is a labor of love, a service. I believe it has made me as complete a person as I can be."

Already at work on other projects, F. J. Dagg is sure to be pleasing readers for some time. You can find out more information about him and his books at www.branch92.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment