Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Thursday, December 20, 2018

Actor Philip K. Boyd: Building His Success Step by Step

by Cyrus Webb

When I was headed back to Los Angeles this year I knew I wanted to try and catch up with some of the great individuals I had spoken with on Conversations LIVE the radio show and see if they would join me for a segment of Cyrus Webb Presents on camera. One of the first people I reached out to was actor Philip Boyd, and I was excited when he immediately said yes!

It was our second time meeting in Los Angeles for a chat, and this one was just as engaging as he first.

Ever since he was 5 years old Philip knew he wanted to entertain. Now as an actor,writer and director he is able to do just that, and the world is able to come along for the ride. For 20 years he has been working hard, honing his craft and seeing it all come together over time in the television shows and movies he's been able to be a part of. Recently, though, millions around the world were introduced to his character Oscar on the hit show written, directed and produced by Tyler Perry called THE HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS.

Though he stays constantly on the go, Boyd says about his career: "I look back on it and say I have been able to live my dream and do things I wanted to do in my life." What a great thing to reflect on! When it comes to acting he says "Being able to create anything in life is what it's all about. Being an actor and being able to be different characters is very fulfilling for me."

At a young age he knew he wanted to "be a lot of different things" in his life. He says that influenced him to "create different personalities and characters", and set the stage for where he is today.

The career as a working actor is not something that Boyd takes lightly. "It creates a level of responsibility that you have to own," he says. "When you're creating characters you want to give the fans what they want." That sense of responsibility is also part of the gratitude that he has. "Anytime I get a phone call that I've booked a job it makes you want to work harder and be better than you were before. I'm still climbing up the ladder. It's about constantly working, constantly creating and trying to be better and make it to the next level."

Being a part of the successful series The Haves and the Have Nots is definitely part of that next level. "Tyler Perry is a very special person," Boyd says. "He is a great storyteller. He has an energy about him that is infectious. The people that are surrounded by him make it their own personal journey to be better. I feel honored and blessed to be a part of this show and to be around the amount of talent that is on it."

For fans of the show part of the fun of Oscar's character was trying to figure out what was his motive towards Candace (played by Tika Sumpter) and the other cast members. Season after season we got to see the character evolve, but this year Oscar met his demise, adding to the drama of what is  a much-watch show on Tuesday nights. "I kinda had an idea of where the character was going throughout the show," Philip told me. The response to his character definitely made him feel good about his run on the popular series.

Outside of The Haves and the Have Nots, Boyd says he just wants to be able to use his life and path as an example for others. "If I can inspire one person in the world to chase their dream, then I feel as though my job is done.." He also adds that when it comes to the future "One of the greatest things about being an actor is that you really don't know what's next. It might change from day to day. It's really exciting,"

At the end of the day he says he just wants to be the best Philip Boyd that he can be, wherever that might take him, and fans of his work are invited to stay along for the ride.

Lots more to come from this talented actor. Tweet along with Philip at @PhilipKBoyd. He can also be found on Instagram at www.instagram.com/philipkboyd.

No comments:

Post a Comment