Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Friday, December 6, 2013

The Write Stuff: Author Tonya Goring

by Cyrus Webb

At the end of 2012 author Tonya Goring released her book MEET DESIREE, and in 2013 it has been one of those reads that people have been drawn to because it reaches people them where they are in their own lives.

During her visit to Mississippi she talked with Conversations' Cyrus Webb about the book and the response. "It was a surprise to me," she told him. People who read the book were telling her "I have been there". The story, which is really the authors personal story has made such an impact that she began the hashtag #iamdesiree.

Webb asked Goring if it made it easier to tell her story using fictitious names. "To take a step back and not call Desiree Tonya was huge," she says. "I think that's what allowed me to finish the story and be able to release it. Once it was released I would proudly tell people 'I am Desiree. That story is about me.'"

In the book MEET DESIREE the main character was not just dealing with situations that affected her. "Desiree didn't just have herself," Goring said. "She is married and has 2 children. The decisions she has to make are tough because they don't just involve her. She wants to do everything to make the best decisions for them." Throughout the book Desiree handles things with the people she loved the most in mind.

One of the things that gets Desiree through her challenges and helps her to make the right decisions is her faith. "The faith part of my story is huge," the author told Webb. "There is no way Desiree would have made it through this juncture of her life without it." Goring says that even when 'Desiree' couldn't see all the moving pieces it was obvious that God definitely had his hand in the matter. "I feel like there is a heartfelt chapter of this book: the decision. Do I stay or do I go? Is it God's Will for me? I'm listening and trying to hear God. I definitely believe it is a critical part of my life. Accepting God and deciding I don't understand all this was a great reward," she says.

When it comes to the take-away from her book Goring says it is letting others know they aren't alone in what they are going through.  "Being able to know who you are and not being defined by someone else is the key," she says. Most of it (Meet Desiree) is her finding herself along the way. Finding she has this strength. "If readers get that she says it's all worth it," she told Webb.

Discover more about Desiree and Tonya Goring at www.meetdesiree.com. You can also find her online at  www.facebook.com/meetdesiree and www.twitter.com/tgoring1.

No comments:

Post a Comment