Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Saturday, May 23, 2015

10 Questions with Actress Charlene Amoia

by Cyrus Webb

For over a decade actress Charlene Amoia has been garnering attention and fans for her roles in a number of memorable projects like The Young and the Restless, Days of Our Lives, the hit show How I Met Your Mother and dramas like Bones. Along the way she has not just honed her craft but allowed us to see what it takes to be successful in such a competitive business. She shares a bit of her journey in our "10 Questions" series.

1.     Charlene, first of all congratulations to you on all of your successes. What has it been like to see how your hard work has paid off?
Awe, well thank you for saying that. I feel lucky to truly have found something that I love so the work doesn't feel so much like work even with all the difficulties and challenges a pursuit in the arts brings with it. Even during the times when the disappointments seem to outweigh the positives, there is never a day when I think I would have chosen another path. And when things are going really well, I just keep counting my blessings and try to hold on the those feelings for as long as possible.

2.     Do you think the key to your success has really been not giving up on yourself along the way?
I think that actually has a lot to do with it!

3.     Charlene, what was it about acting that originally spoke to you?
I've always been curious about people. Anyone who knows me for even a short time, will say that I'm always asking a lot of questions. With acting, I get to continually investigate why someone makes certain choices and behaves in certain ways. That is very interesting to me. I guess I'm interested in human psychology and then once I'm able to connect the dots and embody the character, I really enjoy telling someones' story. It feels good to me. It's fun, and cathartic in many ways.

4.     Since your journey began you have had the opportunity to be on some amazing television programs. Do you still have those "pinch me" moments on set?
Every once in a while. I did have this happen to me recently. I was a huge fan of a particular show and then suddenly and randomly I was working alongside some of the actors I just adored watching. I remember thinking to myself, "How exactly did this happen?" I didn't even have to audition for the project I ended up working with them on. Confirms my belief of the inner connectivity of things and setting out intentions.

5.     Fear is one of those things that stops so many from going forward in pursuing their dreams. What has kept you from allowing fear to paralyze you along the way?
Ha. Good question. I guess I just feel like I don't have anything to lose. I was an awkward kid and came from humble beginnings so I don't feel like anything is going to embarrass me or make me feel something I haven't already felt before. In fact, when situations bring up discomfort, I make a true effort to sit in it and allow myself to grow through it.

6.     On the other side of fear, Charlene, is passion. What is it that keeps you inspired and motivated as you walk this journey in your career?
Acting makes me feel alive. I think about the many interviews I've watched with Joseph Campbell and his message to "follow your bliss." Seeing other performances inspire me. Good and bad. Art is illusive and the courage it takes one to risk everything and be vulnerable is inspiring. Nature inspires me. And love too. Love from an animal, a friend, family member or lover.  I think watching anyone put their heart in something and letting go is beautiful.

 7.     One of the things that has definitely changed is the way that social media has become such a big part of our lives, especially for those in the public eye. What has it been like for you to have this online cheering squad connected to you?
Hmm. I'm on the fence with social media. In some ways, it's nice to be able to connect with or have someone reach out to me. Although, I don't think I've fully embraced it yet. I am flattered by the fans who do keep up with my work on a regular basis though. It's very sweet.

 8.     We hear so much about when it comes to Hollywood, is the losing of oneself. What keeps you grounded as an artist?
Well I don't party much so I think that helps and I have made some pretty solid friendships along the way with people I think are just really great cats. Also, I spend a fair amount of time meditating and chilling on a beach or a mountain during my downtime.

9.     Charlene, I know that 2014 has been a busy year for you. What should our readers be looking forward to from you next?
I recently shot guest star episodes on Bones and NCIS New Orleans and I have 2 films that will be release soon as well. One is car-racing film called Adrenaline with John Schneider and more recently a horror film called Nefas: The Wicked. Both will be coming out soon.

10.     This conversation with you is part of our series called "Acting on Faith." Using your own career as an example, what advice would you give to others about the importance of following their hearts when it comes to going after their dreams?
I think we all have a little Budda inside of us that is all-knowing and ready to guide us when we get still enough to listen. I've had people tell me I couldn't do things my whole life but inside I always knew I could. My advice would be to find away to get away from the outside noises and influences and really pay attention to what that little voice inside of you is saying.

 You can stay connected with Charlene at @charleneamoia on Twitter and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/charleneamoia. Her website is www.charleneamoia.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment