Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Sunday, September 16, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: "Who Said It Couldn't Be Done? A Diamond In the Rough" by Denise Jones


by Conversations Book Club

Transformation is something that is beautiful to watch, but may seem like something for others to enjoy and not ourselves.

We have amazing examples of how the caterpillar turns into the colorful butterfly, and we might ask ourselves is it really possible for us to go through a change that dramatic. Denise Jones shows that the answer is a resounding YES.

In her book WHO SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE? she takes you through her amazing journey of not just self-discovery but what it means to truly love yourself and know that you were created for a purpose. She didn't come from the best of circumstances, and vices of all sorts were all around her. For a time Denise was a part of the world's darkness. She writes in her book: "I could feel myself changing inside. My emotions, my desires, my cravings: they all turned dark." She adds this: "I was insatiably addicted to living life fast...I yearned for it; I needed it. The part of me that longed for the Brady Bunch lifestyle no longer existed. Darkness emerged from a long sleep and took control of my life."

That darkness included death and times when her own life was in danger due to decisions that she made. Denise got to a point where she seemed to welcome the closure that death seemed to offer. She writes this: "I often wanted to commit suicide. Life, and the cruel reality of it, was something I no longer wanted to deal with. I deliberately tried to overdose several times, but each attempt failed. Since God wouldn't allow death to have me, having no other choice I continued to do what I did best: get high."

So what changed? Through a series of events Denise was able to see that God loved her and wanted something different for her life. It wasn't easy, but that was the purpose that caused her to make the needed changes, and the result is the person who has chronicled her story.

In the book we also read accounts from those who knew her before and after the transformation. They talk about the transition that Denise experienced, giving us all a firsthand glimpse at what is possible for us.

Inspiring and full of hope, WHO SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE? is the kind of book you need if you have been told what is impossible in your own life. This book allows you to see that Grace has no favorites and you are able to live a life of purpose and happiness if you choose.

Through sharing her story Denise Jones shows not only what can be done in our own lives but how our change can affect others as well.

Find out more about author Denise Jones and her book at www.authordenisejones.com


No comments:

Post a Comment