Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Sunday, September 16, 2012

PROFILE: Professional Boxer Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell

by Cyrus Webb

Walking the path meant for you is not always as easy as we might like it to be. There are sometimes obstacles that come our way and challenges that threaten us, but it is totally in our control whether we will press forward or allow the things that happen to us to affect who we are and the person we become.

Take Seth Mitchell.  Some five or six years ago those who knew him for football would have thought that the injury he sustained would have ended his life as an athlete. Good thing Seth didn't believe that. Today he is a professional boxer that is literally kicking butts and taking names, and if you ask him he will tell you that he is just getting started.

Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell recently agreed to give me an exclusive for DC Now Radio's edition of Conversations LIVE, and it was an eye-opening discussion from beginning to end.

I began by asking him about what it has been like to have his dedication to boxing and his fans rewarded over the past four years. "It means alot," he told me. "In my hometown I had a big following because of playing football. To come over to boxing and have the success I've had is amazing. It definitely makes me want to work harder. I feel that the people want me to succeed. When they get to know me they see the kind of person I am. They see my character."

Mitchell had his football career cut short in 2005 because of an injury. For some that would have been their obstacle in the road. He sees it another way. "I call it the luck of the draw," he told me. "Up until that point I had never thought about boxing." That changed, however, when he saw a former college football player who had went into boxing and was good at it. Whether you see it as a coincidence or something more destined, it changed Mitchell's life and led him towards the path that he has now been dominating.

One of the main ingredients to Mitchell's accomplishments is the priority he has set for himself. On Facebook he let's it be known that he is a Christian first. Family man second. Boxer third.

"I don't claim to be the most holiest person out there," he explained. "I try to do the right thing. I try to treat people the way I want to be treated. I live my life right as an example for my children. Boxing is my profession, but it doesn't define me. I am defined by being a good father and husband and representing myself well." He then added this: "If you have those things in order you'll be ok."

That is the message he is sharing not just with his family but his fans as well. He wants those who have been following his career and who hear about him to know that you can accomplish your own goals in life if you remain dedicated, work hard and believe in yourself. "You can do whatever you want to do," he says. All you have to do is carry that belief with you.

Stay in contact with Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell through his Facebook Fan Page as well as on Twitter at www.twitter.com/sethmayhem48.

No comments:

Post a Comment