Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Actress and Recording Artist Antonique Smith: Pushing Herself Into Her Dreams

Recording artist/actress Antonique Smith is on a high like you wouldn't believe---and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon.

Her first single HOLD UP WAIT A MINUTE was nominated for a Grammy in 2015, and people around the world are talking about her emergence on the musical scene as well as her new movie STOCK OPTION that premiered at The International Black Film Festival. Among her other achievements for the year was her performance for Pope Francis during his visit to the States and the release of her EP LOVE IS EVERYTHING.

Before HOLD UP many knew Antonique as a star on Broadway and as an actress who played Faith Evans on the hit movie NOTORIOUS, but music has always been a part of who she is.

I asked Antonique what the ride of the single and her journey has been like. "I’m so grateful," she told me. "I’ve been dreaming about this moment since I was a little girl. I'm so grateful that everybody is supporting and embracing it.”

Though she has always believed in herself, Antonique told me that the competitive nature of the industry wore her down a bit. "Through the years after seeing how difficult the industry is I lost some of the belief I had in myself because of the rejection and the Nos." She then added: "The majority of what you get are the Nos. The tiny Yeses you get are what people normally see." She says it's been a long road but her family, friends and fans have all made it worthwhile.

With the challenges of the industry I was curious as to where the tenacity she has comes from. “I believe that my gift was an answer to a prayer of 7 year old Antonique," she told me. "I think that God gave me something to share with the world. That is what keeps me going. This is the only thing I have wanted to do.”

Talking about the live performance, she says "That's my favorite thing. I love looking into people's eyes and feeling what they are feeling. To have that connection with people is priceless."

And this is only the beginning for her. “I’m going to keep going until I can’t go any more," she says. "I continue to push."

You can get the EP LOVE IS EVERYTHING which includes the singles HOLD UP WAIT A MINUTE and HIGHER on Amazon and other online retailers. Stay connected with Antonique Smith on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AntoniqueSmith and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AntoniqueSmithFB.

No comments:

Post a Comment