Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Conversations' Inspirational Anthem of 2015: Rise Up by Andra Day

by Cyrus Webb

This has been a year of highs and lows for so many, and at times it might appear that the bad days or the "down times" as my good friend Rob Pennington calls them might be in the majority. For me it has helped to remember that every day that I am here is an opportunity to right a wrong, bridge a divide and even grow as an individual.

One of the things that has always helped me when I am looking for some motivation is music.

I began the year with CONQUEROR by Estelle and Jussie Smollett on repeat, loving the message of anything being possible, and in November of this year I was sent the Youtube commercial of Beats by Dre featuring Serena Williams and the song RISE UP by recording artist Andra Day.

If there is a song that I believe everything in the world can relate to, it IS this one. What Andra Day does by beginning the song "You're broken down and tired of living life on a merry-go-round" is to acknowledge that every day is not great and there are times it seems as though the cycle of events aren't getting any better. What made this song unique for me is that she makes it about US. TOGETHER we can do amazing things, and that is what she is able to articulate so well in this song.

"When the silence isn't quiet," Andra sings, "and it feels like it's getting hard to breathe. And I know you feel like dying, but I promise we'll take the world to it's feet." That in itself tells me that no matter how dark the moment might be or how alone we will find at times there is always going to be someone who knows, understand and appreciates where we are---and can help us move forward. "All we need is hope," she reminds us, "and for doubt we have each other."

The message and the delivery couldn't be more perfect, and for that reason RISE UP by Andra Day is my Inspirational Anthem of 2015.

Get the single for yourself on Amazon along with her album Cheers to the Fall. Stay connected with Andra through her website at www.andraday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment