Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Conversations Magazine, March/April 2024

Friday, June 7, 2013

To You, From Me: Examples of Fatherhood

I, like many young people around the world, grew up not knowing my father. He was killed when I was quite young, and though the man who is now my step-father came into my life not long after ,there are always the questions as to who I could have been if my father had been around.

I know I'm not alone.

We hear all the time about fatherless households. Sometimes it is because of death that the man is out of the picture. Unfortunately we also know there are situations where some men have made a conscious choice not to be in their child's life. This can leave the child feeling abandoned, unwanted and even unloved. Though these are the situations that get the most attention, thankfully there are men stepping up and standing in the gap to be there for the younger generation. They are true examples of fatherhood.

I dedicate this issue of Conversations Magazine to these unsung heroes. They are the cousins, uncles, family friends and even strangers that don't want to see the youth become another statistic. It has been great for me to see posts on social media of men of all ages and walks of life spending time with their kids, taking advantage of the little things that can mean so much.

This is also a challenge for all of us to rise up and do our part. As someone who doesn't have children I still see it as a priority to reach out to those around me, letting them know they are not forgotten and that they matter. The examples in this issue show what can happen when men and women appreciate their own value and worth and do their best to share that with the world. 

Maya Angelou, who we are profiling during this issue, is quoted as saying this: "Sometimes the people whom we've known for only a short amount of time have a bigger impact on us than those we've known forever." Let that be true of us.

Do you know an example of someone who is an example of fatherhood? Email me at cawebb4@juno.com or share your story on our website with this article. Let us join you in celebrating them.

Until next time, happy reading!





Cyrus Webb, Editor-In-Chief 
Conversations Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment